Monday, April 28, 2008

Friendship: Such a Sweet Surprise

I gave away another 4 ribbons on Saturday to one of my best friends, Lori. (By the way, Michelle, I forgot to tell you that Mom is requesting more ribbons ). :)

When she saw the ribbon, her eyes immediately started to water. Michelle had shared the idea of the project with her weeks ago, so she knew that I was about to acknowledge the difference she makes in my life.

I looked at her and said, “The difference you make in my life is that you are truly what it means to be a friend." I explained that whenever something happens in my life, whether it is "good" or "bad," she is one of the first people I think of calling. By this point, she was really fighting back the tears, asking me not to make her cry, but I had so much more I wanted to say. I went on, “We started out as colleagues 11 years ago, and then something beautiful happened, and we became friends. It was such a sweet surprise.”

She replied, “It really was, Mimi. It has been a wonderful journey."

“And another difference you make in my life is that you inspire me in who you are as mother. You amaze me.” See, Lori is the single mother of two beautiful girls-- a 4-year-old and a 15-month-old. She is so loving, patient, and positive with her girls. She simply inspires me to be the same way with my two boys.

I pinned the ribbon on her and passed on 3 more so that she could pay them forward. I can’t wait to hear who she gave her ribbon to and what the experience of giving and receiving the ribbons away was like for her. :)

This is such a great project. Thanks for taking this on, Michelle! I intend on having it go on and on and on in my life, and, like Ingrid, I am going to order my own roll of ribbons to symbolize the abundance of love to give away!!!

Gladys

No comments: